Sunday, April 24, 2011

I Want To Be A Project Manager But I Don't Have Experience

I often meet new people who say to me "I want to be a Project Manager but I don't have any experience so I  can't find a job that will allow me to be a Project Manager." My first response is, you aren't looking for the right opportunities.  Just because you don't have the title of Project Manager, doesn't mean you can't manage a project.  In your current job you can look for opportunities to take on a simple/small project.  Something as simple as organizing a team building event or organizing a server room can be a project.  In these examples you typically have scope, budget, and timeline that you are aiming for. 

There are also ways to get experience managing a project outside of your employer's environment.  Just about any non-profit, religious organization, local government, educational institute, etc. would be more than happy to have you as a volunteer and often you can pick what it is that you do, ie manage a project. 

So if you want to be a Project Manager and are having challenges finding an opportunities, think outside the box and don't just look for role with a title of a Project Manager.

No comments:

Post a Comment